Writing a good essay requires knowing how to plan it and to structure it. In order to succeed, you need to know exactly what to do when writing your paper.
Here are 10 essential tips which will help you write a quality essay which will please your professor.
1) Start your essay with an introductory paragraph which both informs and engages the attention. Let the readers know what your paper is about and provide them with intriguing information about your topic.
2) State your thesis directly and in a brief way. Your position needs to be absolutely clear. Still, do not use plain phrases like “This essay is about … “. You would better write ‘The essay is focused on…’
3) Pose reasonable questions related to your topic and then answer them.
4) State an intriguing fact about your topic. This will engage the attention of the reader and will show that you have researched your topic.
5) Read other essays on similar topics. This will help you see a different point of view. When you are ready with your draft, offer to share the paper you wrote with other students if they share with you theirs. This is really helpful. Just as the various books you read when you prepare yourself subconsciously help you form your own writing style, reading other people’s essays has the same effect. When you read these essays, you should be critical. Answer to yourself what you do and do not like about them. Are the authors persuasive according to you? Pay attention whether the writer has used some useful techniques which you did not know by that moment and that could help you.
6) Build a wide vocabulary. Having a rich vocabulary will allow you to state clearly what you mean and then to give reasons for it. Avoid long and complicated sentences. State your point directly and clearly. Make sure that you constantly improve your vocabulary. There are always new words which you can learn. You need to read a lot. Refer to a dictionary for any word you do not know and pay attention how it was used.
You should read different genres and a wide range of topics.
Use a thesaurus regularly. When you discover that you use the same words again and again, you should check these words in the thesaurus. Thus, you will find other words with a similar meaning. You should know, though, that sometimes you cannot use some words from the thesaurus in the same context. Even when some words have similar meanings, there still might be slight differences. This could make the synonyms inappropriate in some contexts. You need to find examples how the word can be used before putting it in your text for the first time.
It will be a great convenience for you to start a vocabulary book. You usually use such books when you are learning a foreign language. But it could be useful for your native language, too. Take a notepad and use it to write there new words with their meanings. The simple writing down of the definition will help you easily remember the word.
Include also an example of a context in which the word can be used. Thus, you will have more chances to memorize it and be able to use it properly.
Try making different sections of your vocabulary for words on some particular themes. Create a general section, and then use a few parts of the notebook for words suitable for economy essays, history essays and so on.
7) Build an argument. To make your essay sound well, you should not be repeating yourself. Pay attention to the language which you use to build your argument. You should create a sense of structure. Do not use the same words each time. For example, instead of “also”, you can use “moreover” or “furthermore”. These words, as well as ‘however’, ‘nonetheless’ and others help a lot to build an argument. They also make the structure of your essay obvious and logical.
8) Use quotations. You should be informed who the foremost writers on your topic are. You may later choose not to reference them but you still need this information. Writing an essay is the chance for you to show that you have read a lot. So, quote other people’statements, as well as the original sources. You should mention contrasting views on your topic for two reasons. First, not everyone would agree with a statement. Second, your essay will be much better is you look at all the possible angles and then make a reasonable conclusion.Start a page in a notebook for each subject that you are studying. Write down the names of important people in that field. Fill in a summary of what their views are on your topic. Thus, you will have a list of authors to refer to when you have to write an essay.
Quotes are important but do not use them all the time. Otherwise, it will look like you do not have your own opinion on the topic. Just mix the quotes with your own statements. Otherwise, it will not look like you just hide behind other people’s thoughts.
You are allowed and encouraged to disagree with a scholar if you are able to give evidence and reasons which support your position. If can do this, this will show that you have really thought about it and then developed your own position. Thus, you will demonstrate strong critical reasoning skills, which are highly appreciated by the professors.
9) Pay attention to your syntax, punctuation, grammar and tone of voice. You should focus on making yourself easy for the readers to understand your position. Still, you can do this and use various syntax in your writing at the same time. Use different sentence structures, both long and short. Just avoid sentences which are too long and complicated because they are difficult to read.
Do not also forget that the last thing your professor wants to see is your essay is poor grammar. Use a grammar checking tool which will help you improve your writing and eliminate the mistakes that you have not noticed.
You probably have already formed your own tone of voice when writing essays, but you should think whether your tone is really interesting and engaging. Read through a few essays which you previously wrote and ask yourself whether you really find them intriguing and meaningful. If you do not like them a lot, you should consider changing your tone of voice. Although essays require using a formal and academic context, this does not mean that you have to be boring. You should provide interesting information and sound sure about it. The confident tone of shows that you really know what you are talking about.
10) Proofread. It is pretty sure that you made mistakes while writing, so do not forget to proofread your essay.
Writing an essay might not be an easy task but the careful planning will help you cope with it. Just pay enough attention to the writing process and follow the above basic tips. They will help you write a quality essay and avoid some mistakes which many students do when writing.